Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Feeding the Ravenous Beasts


Remember Hungry Hungry Hippos, anyone? If they were looking for a fifth stand-in, Phoebe would be just right for the job...but only if they were serving rice cereal instead of marbles! Ha-ha!
Anybody have any advice on a feeding schedule for a five month old? I'm pretty sure that she would eat until she exploded if I let her, but I am trying to figure out what's the right amount, how many times a day, proper time intervals, etc. Looking forward to your feedback!!
-momma_sarah

5 comments:

Sarah Derringer said...

Mandy, Heather- any advice here? Or anybody else have any ideas?? Here's what her schedule looks like so far:

- 6:00 a.m. bottle
- 10:00 a.m. rice cereal & applesauce + bottle
- 2:00 p.m. 1/2 rice cereal & vegetable + bottle
- 6:00 p.m. rice cereal & applesauce + bottle
- 10:00 p.m. bottle

Too much? Too little? Help!

Mandy said...

Ethan eats right now at a year, 3 to 4 times a day, plus a bottle every 2 to 3 hours at least 4 to 6 oz.

I think that Ethan ate 6 to 8 times a day then. At this age food is really for, fun, texture, taste, but babies should be getting quite a bit of formula still. I would increase formula try giving her extra bottles between meal times.

Maybe try giviving her a small bottle at 8:00 am and pm. and see if she feels better.

And if you give her, her cereal at 8:00 also she will sleep longer before waking up through the night.

Also check out this website
http://www.babyzone.com

Sarah Derringer said...

Well good- thank you for the input and advice- the way I read your post, I can feed her more, formula-wise, which is great! I have been going by Gerber's website, and my "What To Expect the First Year" book, and they all recommend five, 6 oz. formula meals a day plus whatever rice cereal/ baby food combination I prefer to introduce at this point...but I am telling you, and you can vouch for this, having seen it first-hand last week, she really IS a ravenous beast! And it's not like she's acting fussy in between feedings, either. Even if she was, I'm sure that she has enough fat rolls to put Fat Bastard to shame, but she always seems like she could eat more than what I'm giving her...she just SCREAMS when the rice cereal-applesauce mixture runs out, and I don't know if it's an, "Oh, it's fun eating, don't stop!" type cry or a "Hey- give me more, you stingy mommy!" type cry... because she gets the bottle then as soon as she burps, which usually appeases her...and the thing that gets me is that I think my "mother's intuition" is telling me to give her more solids, but maybe that's just a throw-back from my "eat anything in sight" attitude from my pregnancy...?? Anyone else, like, ahem-ahem, HEATHER?? or Jen?? :) have advice? or anything anyone's read or heard about? I'm just curious, and TOTALLY excited about any websites or anything else you all have to offer/recommend(like babyzone!!)... thanks! :)

bigmama2 said...

Well, I fed my kids verry early. By six months they were on solids and bottles. By 7 months they were eating (VERY SMALL) pieces of big people food. Anna, 16 months old, eats only people food (not that she would eat dog food or something). Both of my girls are good eaters and have no allergies. I think that if Phobes is telling you she's hungry you should feed her more. A little chunk never hurt anybody. :o)

Sarah Derringer said...

Ha! Well she's certainly got the chunk going already- no doubt about that! I think an extra bottle here and there wouldn't hurt anything- I just thought it might be weird to feed her around the clock- guess not! Thanks!